Obosa Akpata, LL.M (London), C.Arb (UK), CEDR Accredited Mediator
Obosa Akpata obtained a Bachelor of Laws, LL.B Degree from Bendel State University, Ekpoma, Edo State in 1990 and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1991. She subsequently obtained a Masters of Law, LL.M Degree from the University of London, United Kingdom, with a specialty in Commercial Law. She also has a Post Graduate Degree (PGC) in Investment Law and a Post Graduate Certificate (PGC) in International Dispute Resolution from the University of London. Her core areas of practice are Company and Commercial Law, Civil Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation.
Obosa has been in legal practice since her call to the Nigeria Bar in 1991. She started her law practice in the Law firm of George Etomi & Partners where she spent a period of seven years with more focus in Corporate Advisory and Commercial law practice. She subsequently joined the Law Firm of Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe & Belgore as Counsel in 2002 where she gained a great deal of experience representing clients in civil litigation and arbitration.
Since setting up Patreli Partners, Obosa has continued to provide Corporate Advisory services, legal representation of corporate and individual clients involved in civil litigation, arbitration and mediation.
Some of the areas in which she has been and continues to be involved include:
- Provision of legal representation to a wide variety of clients in civil and commercial litigation in both the inferior and superior courts of record.
- Sitting as Sole Arbitrator and as a member of panels of three Arbitrators.
- Provision of legal representation to clients in arbitral references in ad hoc proceedings and at the Lagos Multi-door Courthouse.
- Provision of legal representation to clients in mediation proceedings at the Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse.
- Mediates various domestic disputes at the Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse and the Lagos Court of Arbitration.
Tutoring and Facilitating
- Approved Tutor and Assessor of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK). Conducts training in arbitration in jurisdictions including Nigeria, Rwanda and Ghana.
- Provision of tutorials to post graduate students of the University of London External Programme on the Regulations and Infrastructure of International Commercial Arbitration for the LL.M Degree Programme at the Centre for Law and Business, Lagos, Nigeria.
Obosa is a regular presenter of papers on different aspects of Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution at different seminars and workshops. Some of them include:
- ARBITRATION CLAUSES: A presentation delivered at the Chief G.O. Sodipo Memorial Lecture held at the Regional Centre for Commercial Arbitration on 7th December, 2015.
- The Role of Tribunal Registrars in Maritime Arbitration: A Practitioner’s Perspective: A presentation delivered at the Maritime Arbitrators Association of Nigeria (MAAN) 5th Annual One-day Workshop held at the International Centre for Arbitration and ADR on 20th November, 2015.
- Appointment and use of Experts in Arbitration and Mediation under the Lagos Court of Arbitration held at the City Hall on 18th March, 2015.
- LITIGATION/ARBITRATION/ADR Mechanisms: A presentation at the Nigeria Bar Association Lawyers One-day Training organised by the Lagos Court of Arbitration held on 1st February, 2013.
- Final Award in Arbitration: A presentation at the Lagos Chamber of Commerce One-day Training organised by the Lagos Court of Arbitration held on 12th March, 2013.
- Settle Me! Innovative Skills in Dispute Resolution: A presentation at the Nigeria Bar Association Section on Business Law Conference held on 19th June, 2012.
Some recent Workshops and Seminars Attended
- Third Party Funding – Costs in Arbitration: A workshop organised by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and held in London on 10th May, 2017.
- Mediating Banking Disputes: A workshop organised by The Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse and held in Lagos, Nigeria on 28th March, 2017.
- 1st Africa Regional International Arbitration Conference organised by the Chamber of Commerce Lagos, Nigeria (19th – 21st June, 2016).
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Annual Conference: Two-day Conference organised by the Nigeria Branch of the Institute in Port Harcourt, Rivers State (10th – 11th November, 2016).
- FIDIC Module 1 – Practical use of the FIDIC Contracts: Two-day training held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (28th – 29th February, 2016).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators African Centenary Conference: Three-day Conference held in Livingstone, Zambia (15th – 17th July, 2015)
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Annual Conference: Two-day Conference organised by the Nigeria Branch of the Institute in Abuja (3rd – 4th November, 2015).
- The Mauritius International Arbitration Conference: Two-day Conference organised by the Mauritius International Arbitration Centre, Flic-en-Flac, Mauritius (15th -16th December, 2014).
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Annual Conference: Two-day Conference organised by the Nigeria Branch of the Institute in Lagos (6th -7th November, 2014).
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chartered Arbitrator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, U.K.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, U.K. Secretary of the Nigeria Branch (2011-2014). Member of the Branch Training Committee.
- Member, Nigeria Bar Association (Section on Business Law). Current Chairman of the Arbitration & Alternative Disputes Resolution (ADR) Committee of the Section on Business Law.
- Accredited Mediator of the United Kingdom Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).
- Member, Lagos Chamber of Commerce International Arbitration Centre (LACIAC).
- Associate Member, Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria.
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators of the Lagos Court of Arbitration.
- Member, Panel of Neutrals of the Lagos Multi-Door Courthouse.
She is currently the Chairperson of the Committee on Arbitration & ADR of the Nigerian Bar Association – Section on Business Law.